Over the last few weeks the garden has really come to life. The daffodils are out, leaves are appearing on the trees and the birds are singing. After a long, cold winter with lots of snow, the days are getting longer and warmer. Lockdown is easing and I’ve managed to get back swimming in the sea again (it’s still cold……..).
Mr McGregor has started to sow some veg seeds which are incubating in the greenhouse
Meanwhile I have been baking ginger cakes….. this is a really easy and very more-ish one…..
Easy ginger cake
40g light muscovado sugar
100g black treacle
140g plain flour
1 large egg
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 160/150 fan. Line a 17(ish) cm square cake tin with baking parchment
- Melt butter, treacle and sugar over a low heat. Allow to cool a little and mix in the milk
- Meanwhile, sieve dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the egg
- Mix the melted ingredients in to the dry ones.
- Pour the mixture into the tin – it is quite runny.
- Bake for 35-40mins until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10mins before turning out onto a baking rack to cool fully