I’m not a particular fan of eating oranges. I can never really be bothered with all that peeling and all that pith. And all the juiciness and stickiness play havoc with the keyboard…. But they do taste absolutely amazing at half time during a game of sport when pre-sliced (by someone else, obviously). For some reason they are exactly what you need then. Preferably with a cup of orange squash, which I also don’t like at any other time.
Mr McGregor is quite a fan of oranges, so there are usually some in the fruit bowl. I pinched one to make this cake.
Orange and apple cake (pdf: Orange and apple cake)
50g soft brown sugar
4 eggs, beaten
250g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
200g apples, chopped into 2cm pieces
grated zest of 1 orange
- Heat oven to 180 degrees and grease and line a 20cm round tin
- Beat butter and sugar together
- Sift flour and baking powder together
- Add eggs to the butter and sugar mixture and mix together
- Gently add in the flour, beating as you go
- Mix in the orange rind and then gently mix in the apples
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, allow to cool for a short time in the tin before turning out to cool completely.