Our blueberries are doing very well this year so I made a Blueberry Tart.
The recipe is a wee bit more involved than some of the others – it needs pastry and custard, but I enjoy making it and I do think it looks quite impressive, if you don’t look too hard. We had a wonderful version of this tart in the south of France a couple of years ago and although it doesn’t perhaps reach those heights, I think it tastes pretty good!
Blueberry Tart (Tarte aux Myrtilles) pdf Tarte aux Myrtilles
200g plain flour
100g unsalted butter
2-3 tablespoons of cold water
300ml double cream
2 vanilla pods
6 egg yolks
1 tablespoon caster sugar
3 tablespoons plain flour
- Start by heating the oven to 180 degrees
- Rub together the plain flour and butter until you get the texture of fine breadcrumbs. Add water gradually to draw together. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to fit a 25cm loose-bottomed flan tin (pastry will be ~3mm thick). I leave a bit of pastry overhanging the edge of the flan tin as it always shrinks a bit when cooking. Chill in the fridge again for another 30 minutes
- Fill with baking parchment and baking beans. Bake blind for 15-20 minutes, then remove baking parchment and beans and bake for a further 5-10 minutes until the base is cooked.
- Put milk and cream into a saucepan. Using the tip of a sharp knife, score the vanilla pods lengthways. Add to the pan and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and allow to infuse for 20-30 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks together with the sugar and flour in a bowl until smooth. Remove vanilla pods and scrape out the seeds. Return seeds to milk/cream mix. Pour milk/cream mix over the egg mixture and beat well.
- Return custard to the pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon until thick and smooth. This takes 4-10 minutes for me and even if it is a bit lumpy this makes no difference to the final product as far as I can tell!
Assemble the Tart…
- Seal the pastry case with a beaten egg
- Pour in the custard
- Add the blueberries
- Bake for ~30 minutes
- Allow to cool a little before eating….